Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Share The Love: Top Coat It's Guest Post, Day 2

Today I've got another guest post for you. This time we've got some awesome nail art from the wonderful Rachel at Top Coat It! Since I am godawful at nail art, this is the first time you'll be seeing any nail art on here! :) Thankfully Rachel is kickass at it; she's got this glitter stripe mani on her blog that I am obsessed with, plus the a-maaazing splatter mani she's sharing with us here today. Speaking of glitter, I'm guest posting some swatches of the la-la-lovely Nicole by OPI Snowman Of My Dreams at Amandalandish today. It's my absolute favorite of the NOPI holiday glitters so far, so check it out if you've been keeping up with those polishes. And be sure to visit all the Share The Love blogs!


Check Out All Share The Love Blogs:

Hit it, Rachel!


Hey there Nailed Blog enthusiasts! I'm Rachel from Top Coat It. A big thank you to Chelsea for hosting me on this second day of our Share the Love junket. I hope you're having as much fun following us from blog to blog as we've had preparing and sharing these posts with you.
I had a great idea for a cool mani inspired by Sarah over at Chalkboard Nails, only I was going to do it purple and red, inspired by my hair.

 

The picture in my head was amazing. I tried it with the purples and reds I already had, failed. I bought new purple and red, failed. I learned that purple and red don't play well together when you're layering them like that. I might have to get with Sarah and get some tips for another time.

Anyway, so it was back to the drawing board to come up with another fun mani that I hadn't tried yet. As you can see, I chose the splatter nail. I started with a base color of Sinful Colors Snow Me White then used WnW Buffy the Violet Slayer, Orly Terracotta and Sinful Colors Happy Ending.


When I first got done (before any clean up) I was looking at my hand thinking, I can' t post this. It was all gloppy and just a mess. Thank heavens for acetone, cosmetic cotton swabs and a shiny top coat. Doesn't a great top coat just make everything better?


I actually really like this result. I want to try it again and experiment with different color combinations and see if I can't perfect the technique. It reminds me of a watercolor; some of the colors look like they bled together. I like it. Clean up wasn't so fun, but really nail art is just messy sometimes. You sacrifice cleanliness for awesomeness and you get a little ego boost every time someone compliments you on your nails.

In the next week or so I'll be posting a quick tutorial about how I did this splatter mani on my blog, Top Coat It, so be sure to keep a watchful eye for that. And don't forget to tune in for my Share the Love post tomorrow at See Sarah Swatch. Thank you again for having me, Chelsea!

1 comment:

I love reading all of your comments! Please do not post any unsolicited advertising, links, etc. All comments with links will be deleted.