Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Deborah Lippmann Candy Shop Franken: Barbie Puke

So I have been lusting after Deborah Lippmann Candy Shop for a loonnnnggg time, but as a college girl on a budget, I can't bring myself to spend the $42 on the trio set it comes in. I've seen a lot of girls who mixed their own versions of it and although I've never frankened anything before, I thought it looked easy enough and decided to give it a try! I chose my own recipe ingredients but I figured so long as I was following a franken concept I'd seen other people do, I couldn't mess it up too badly.

If you're not familiar with frankening, it's where you mix polishes together to make your own creation. I was kind of intimidated to try it but it's actually really fun! I have dubbed my Candy Shop franken Barbie Puke. Here's how she turned out!


Barbie Puke's formula was actually really great. I used two smooth, easy coats for these swatches. My ingredients for this particular franken were:
  • Wet N Wild Lavender Creme (which, incidentally, is not lavender AT ALL, but a bright magenta)
  • Sally Hansen White On
  • Milani FX Gems (Deborah Lippmann Happy Birthday dupe)

I couldn't really tell you the exact amounts I used for most of these polishes; I just mixed them together until the color and consistency seemed right to me. To start, I mixed Lavender Creme with White On to make the color more candy pink than the original bright magenta of Lavender Creme alone. Then I added the mixture to a bottle of Milani FX Gems that was around one half to three quarters of the way full. I saved the rest of FX Gems to make another Deborah Lippmann dupe, a franken version of Forget You which I think turned out pretty well. I'm looking forward to sharing it with you later this week!

Overall, I spent around six bucks total and I made two frankens I'm quite happy with! They're not exact matches but considering they saved me almost 40 dollars, I think I did alright. Candy Shop has more glitter in it and the pink base is more of a jelly finish than my Barbie Puke version. Maybe, since I am clearly the best daughter ever, my parents will get me the real thing for Christmas! :) Hey, a girl can dream!

Have you ever tried frankening? Do you own the original Candy Shop? (Lucky you!) Is there a polish you've always wanted but just can't stomach the pricetag for it? I'd love to hear from you guys!

4 comments:

  1. ooh, i like this! you did a great job:]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! :) I am a total franken newbie but I liked how this turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire's now has a dupe called.....Candy Shop. $5 and its BOGO 1/2 off as of middle of last week. : ) Your version looks great! You can also try Party Of Five from Wet N Wild. That's been called a dupe of Happy Birthday also. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually bought the Claire's version a while ago--just haven't swatched it yet! :)

      Delete

I love reading all of your comments! Please do not post any unsolicited advertising, links, etc. All comments with links will be deleted.