Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Review: Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food

We all have it: somewhere, in our vast hordes of cremes, shimmers and sparkles, that one glitter polish that hasn't stood the test of time. Whether it's gotten all gummed up or the glitter has sunk to the bottom of the base, for one reason or another, it's just not what it used to be. I was really bummed when I went to wear one of my favorite indie glitters a while back and found it had changed for the worse. The glitter had sunk to the bottom and the suspension base was super thick and gunky. Maybe I didn't seal this polish up well enough or maybe it just didn't hold up--either way, it was completely flat and virtually unusable.


I tried to salvage it with polish thinner (PSA: DO NOT use polish remover to thin a polish--all you'll do is damage your polish) and even after putting an insane amount of thinner, there was no visible difference. The base had gotten so thick that the metal mixing balls inside couldn't move and help disperse the thinner throughout the bottle.

I have a couple sunken down glitters (none near as bad as this one) I've been meaning to try and fix anyways, so I figured the time was right to try Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food. I'm a huge fan of their Glitter A-Peel peel-off basecoat for glitter manis and I've always wanted to try Glitter Food after hearing so many positive things about it.


Glitter Food is a two-in-one product. Its first purpose--and the one that interested me the most--is that it can help save glitters experiencing any of the issues I mentioned above. When you have a polish where the original suspension base used was not strong enough to hold up the glitter (this is more common with polishes that have larger glitter pieces), Glitter Food gives it an extra boost to help the polish look and apply the way it should.

I tried it on a couple of my sunken glitters and it worked exactly as described! If you have a bottle that is nearly full or a bottle where the clear base has completely separated from the glitter, you might need to suck out some of the old suspension base with an eyedropper and then replace it with Glitter Food. It takes a little shaking up and then a few minutes to let Glitter Food do its magic (I usually turn the bottle upside-down while it sits), then you've got a glitter polish that looks good as new! Your big glitter pieces float back up to the top of the bottle and everything is distributed nice and evenly!

So it worked with mild cases, but could it save my poor pink glitter? This bottle was so flat, that no eyedropper was needed; I just poured some Glitter Food straight in. After lots of shaking and giving Glitter Food a few minutes to settle in, I used an orange stick to stir the glitter around a bit and let the Glitter Food penetrate deeper into the bottle. After a few more minutes, here's how it looked:


 Ta-da! I have my polish back!! It looks and applies wonderfully and you'd never guess that just a few minutes before, it looked like this polish was done for. If Glitter Food can salvage this worst-case scenario, I'm confident in recommending it as a fix for virtually any glitter polish problem!

Those results alone were worth the price of Glitter Food for me. But as I said earlier, that's not all Glitter Food does! It can also be used for smoothing out "hungry" glitters that eat topcoat and leave a rough or gritty finish. You'll find it's thicker than most top coats, but that's what makes it so smoothing. I also want to note that on its own, Glitter Food has a semi-matte finish to it, so you'll need to use regular topcoat over Glitter Food if you want some shine.

 So there you have it: another genius, innovative product from Nail Pattern Boldness! I hear NPB makes a fantastic base and top coat system as well, so that's next on my list to try. But it's going to take a lot to dethrone my current fav, Deborah Lippmann Gel Lab!

You can purchase Glitter Food from Nail Pattern Boldness' website.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see this work. Might be something for me to check out :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard about this top coat for a long time and had quite forgotten about it. I knew it was for smoothing out those hungry glitter polishes, but I didn't know they could salvage/restore glitter polishes to their former glory. Great tip! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments! Please do not post any unsolicited advertising, links, etc. All comments with links will be deleted.