Saturday, February 8, 2014

Loki-Inspired Nails

So I've mentioned it a time or two on here but in addition to nail polish, one of my other big interests is comics. I'm mostly a Marvel kind o' gal and today's mani is inspired by one of their most popular villains, Loki. Loki experienced a huge boost in popularity following the character's prominent role in the Thor movies and The Avengers film, where he is played by British actor Tom Hiddleston.

I'm not really a fan of Thor himself, because I don't find him particularly compelling as a character, but Hiddleston's on-screen portrayal and Kieron Gillen's work with the character in the "Journey Into Mystery" and "Young Avengers" comics made me take an interest in Loki. I also blame my inner reformed mall goth, which has a deep and abiding love for anti-heroes.

Anywho, the point of this digression is that I decided to putz around and do some Loki-inspired nails. Loki's signature colors are green and gold, so I incorporated those two shades into a ruffian mani, with added black accent nails as a nod to Loki's look in the comics, where, in more recent years, he has been shown wearing black nail polish.



I started with a base of Azature Gold Diamond, then used Butter London British Racing Green. For my accent nail, I used OPI 4 In The Morning. This was only my second time trying a ruffian mani, but I think it is already worlds better than my first one! I hope you enjoyed my dorky nails today! :)

3 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard at your "mall goth" description, but I am very happy you have seen the, uh, error of your ways? LOL!

    I got way into Thor during the Straczynski run. Good stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I had a truly unfortunate period of time in high school where my wardrobe was TRAGIC. So glad my pseudo-goth phase also meant a hatred of having my picture taken--less evidence of my terrible fashion/make-up decisions!

      I haven't read any of JMS' Thor stuff but I really enjoyed his stint with Fantastic Four and what I've read of his work on Spider-Man (minus the "One More Day" arc), so I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  2. Loki is pretty awesome :D Love your mani!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments! Please do not post any unsolicited advertising, links, etc. All comments with links will be deleted.