Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Twinsie Tuesday: China Glaze Velvet Bow

We're doing nails inspired by our favorite movie this week! I dunno if I have a single all-time favorite, but if we're talking movies I love, Pulp Fiction is certainly up there.

http://dgeiu3fz282x5.cloudfront.net/g/l/lgpp30791+movie-one-sheet-pulp-fiction-poster.jpg

In addition to being an awesome movie, Pulp Fiction also has an interesting place in nail polish history. The polish Uma Thurman wears in the movie, Chanel Vamp, was widely featured and discussed in beauty magazines. Vamp's rich, chocolate-y shade of burgundy was a trendsetting color at the time and perfectly fit the edgy style of Uma's character in the film, which was a huge hit. As a result, Vamp became an instant sellout and highly sought after by polish aficionados.

Vamp still exists in Chanel's polish line-up today, although the color itself has changed to include shimmer. (The classic Vamp color is now called Rouge Noir.) But I've got a good dupe for the original Vamp in China Glaze Velvet Bow, which was part of a Christmas collection a few years back.


The formula is a little sheer for such a dark color. I needed three coats for total opacity. This is a color where you want to be careful with your edges, because cleaning dark red out of your cuticles is a bitch and a half.

So yeah, nothing super fancy from me this week, but hopefully you enjoyed this little look back at polish history! I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else did this week--and hopefully I'll get some good film recommendations in the process!


Sharon at Behind Green Eyes
Savannah at Addicted to Polish

Róisín at Cuti-CLUE-les
Marisa at Polish Those Nails
Marisa at Polish Obsession
Jessica at Blue Velvet Lacquer
Claire at Kerruticles
 ChiChi at I'm Just Me...ChiChi
Chelsea at Nailed Blog
Bridget at A Painted Nail
Amber at Nails Like Lace
Amanda at Fashion Footing
Amanda at Amandalandish

Alaina at The Little Canvas

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE hearing about polish in pop culture! This is a gorgeous shade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool! I had not heard about Vamp being such a sought after color because of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I just picked this up at TJ Maxx and didn't realize it was a dupe for Vamp! Good to know since it's absolutely stunning and looks fantastic on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Vampy shades are my favorite, I never seen the movie though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These types of shades always look good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember some of the hype about the nail polish at the time - although I wasn't into polish at all back then. I love Chanel but don't own Rouge Noir - must change that sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you wore a dupe of the polish from the movie :) when I was thinking about this prompt I tried to think of a character with memorable nails but couldn't think of anything :( and ya cleaning up dark reds is no fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments! Please do not post any unsolicited advertising, links, etc. All comments with links will be deleted.